Thursday, August 11, 2016

Tips For Freshmen

When I look back on my freshman year, I want to tell my freshman self how much change she is going to experience in the next few years. Seriously so much change.. but it's okay. I've learned so much and am very thankful for all that college has taught me thus far. I've experienced everything from joy to confusion to disappointment. I was ecstatic when I learned I would be a campus representative for one of my favorite companies. I was so confused and uncertain when I realized that the major I was currently in wasn't where I was supposed to be, and I was sad when people I thought I knew didn't even talk to me. During both good and bad times, what I want to say is: All of this is temporary. In four more years, you won't remember the grade you got on a specific test or how you felt when someone cancels plans with you. Enjoy this time in your life and make it as special as you can. Don't worry. Just have fun (and study)!
If I could give incoming freshman some advice, here's what I'd tell them..

(I've probably used this picture before. I'm including it, because I really like it, and I can't believe that I took it over 2 years ago!)

Be kind to everyone.
You're going to spend four years on your college campus. You're bound to run into at least a few of the same people during the time you spend there, so don't ever come in contact with someone you cannot say 'hi' to. 

Don't be (too) afraid.
You're going to be a little overwhelmed your first day of college. It's okay. Everyone else is in the same boat. You're never fully prepared to be thrown into the world known as college. It's scary, it's intimidating, it's the place you go before you get a real, legit 40 hr. work week job. But it's also exciting, wonderful, and often referred to as some of the best times of your life. Don't be afraid to try new things, meet new people, and step a little outside of your comfort zone.

FOOD!
Eat healthy and drink water. It's tempting to buy snack foods or take full advantage of the food options in the cafeteria, but make sure you give your body the proper nutrients it needs. If you only eat junk food, you won't feel like focusing on your school work. Your body will feel much better if you eat right. A water bottle is also so very important, because drinking water helps you stay alert and hydrated.
Of course, it's always nice to treat yourself every now and then :)

Make your dorm 'homey'.
Most people I know are super excited when it comes to decorating their dorm, but others may not feel a need to go out and spend money on decorations. I believe that making a dorm feel as much like home as you can is essential to a fulfilling college experience. This is not just a place you sleep or study in. Your dorm is important, because you hang out with friends here, and somewhere where you can go to feel relaxed. (Here's how I decorated my freshman year + sophomore year dorms.)

Packing
You're bound to overpack. I know I did. But going into my 5th (!!!) semester, I can say that I feel more confident than ever about packing for my dorm. Refer to my packing list :)
My roommate and I joke about how we pack way less every year we move in, so when senior year comes around, we're only going to bring the "essentials" (coffee maker, bedding, TV, refrigerator) :)

Start finding out who you are.
You learn so much about yourself during the time you spend at college. Whether it be a group of friends, a new club, or an unusual class, start figuring out who you are. This is definitely not easy by any means, but how can you find out what you like and don't like if you don't at least try everything? Every single year, I've become more attuned to my likes and dislikes. I think it's wonderful, figuring out who I am (even if it is a little frustrating).

Use Chegg for books (or some other book-buying service).
Your campus bookstore is not the only place to buy books. Chegg has saved me hundreds of dollars on textbooks, and I have always been very satisfied with this company. Plus, they sometimes throw in coupons and little gifts such as Tide pods or energy drinks.

Have a great Thursday!
Also, check out my other posts on college: staying healthy: mentally + physically + studying tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment