Friday, March 20, 2015

Freshman Dorm (Do's & Don'ts)

FINALLY! I apologize in advance that this might not be the dorm room post some were expecting, but I promise I'll try to do better sophomore aka this (!!!!!) year :)
I took a few photos of my freshman dorm right after Christmas break, but because my roommate and I are indecisive, we changed the setup quite a few times after that. The photos included in this post show two of the only things that actually remained the same throughout the various moving and rearranging of our furniture. Most of the photos I took are more representative of college, but aren't really "blog-worthy". I didn't have time to set up my room and make it look more presentable or worthy of a photo shoot, so I didn't include those. 
I'm really sorry that this post is so late. I promise I'll have better pictures this year :) 

I'm living in a "suite-style" this year, so my roommate and I will be sharing a bathroom with two other girls. There's 4 more girls living in our "suite" and they will be sharing another bathroom. We'll also share a kitchenette and a "living room". Right now, I can only guess what it'll look like because I've never even seen the place. I've only seen pictures online!


Bedding: Sears
Sheet set: Target (not pictured)
Prints: Heart&Arrow (far left and far right), So Worth Loving (middle)

My favorite color's purple, so obviously that influenced my decision for dorm bedding. My roommate and I love a good opportunity to dorm shop. Last summer, we found matching comforter sets at Sears in our favorite colors :) They are super soft, warm, and reversible! We found them on sale for about $35 each with matching shams. The only thing we needed to buy for our beds were sheet sets! I bought polka dotted ones from the kids' section at Target :) #judgeme & my roommate bought the super soft tshirt (jersey) ones that are available every year (in different colors) also at Target in their dorm section! :)

DO: Buy inexpensive, yet quality, sheet sets! I cannot count the number of times I've spilled food and/or drinks on my bed. Not having to worry about how much I paid for them was nice. The ones I bough are awesome, because they're both cheap and great quality!
DON'T: Buy expensive bedding, unless you plan on using it multiple years. Even though my bedding was on sale, I'm still reusing it, because I don't plan on finding one I like better than the one I already have, plus it saves me money!

I ordered prints off Etsy (Heart&Arrow) and found another one on sale from one of my favorite brands (SWL). I used command strips (because they're the only things we're allowed to use in the dorms!) and hung them above my bed :) This was an easy way to decorate, and it didn't cost too much money!
Also, I love how it looks :)

DO: Use command strips.
DON'T: Use things not approved by your university or college. Nobody wants to pay a fine!


Shower curtain: Wal-Mart (also comes with rings to hang it on the shower and a bath mat -- all for only $20!)
Towels: JCPenney's (left), not sure where my roommate got her towel (right)

DO: Buy at least two sets of towels/washcloths. It's easier than having to wash them constantly and it's always nice to have extra.
DON'T: Buy more things for your bathroom and/or room than you need.
The money you save instead of spend will make you happier in the long run :)

DO: Make sure you do your share of the work. If you attend a university/college that requires you to have room checks every 2 weeks or so, it's nice to only have to do a quick clean up instead of having to stress about what you need to do the day of the inspection.
DON'T: Wait around for someone to tell you to clean up. When you see that you left your dishes in the sink or your bed unmade, take action and do what needs to be done. Don't be that person who doesn't do their fair share of the chores.

Extras:
Make sure you talk to your roommate(s)/suitemates before you go shopping for dorm supplies :)
It's nice to split the cost of essentials and make sure everyone is sharing the responsibility of buying what's needed for the bathroom and/or dorm room.
Paper towels, Clorox wipes, dish soap, laundry detergent, and toilet paper are also a few things you might want to consider either bringing to college or including on the list you share with your roommate/suitemates.
These items cost more than you think! 
Don't forget your quarters to use for laundry! Thankfully, my dorm allowed us to use our debit/credit cards for a wash/dry cycle!

I hope you found a couple of these tips helpful :)
Good luck!
If you are heading off to college soon (for your first time or if you're returning), I want to hear about it!
Leave a comment or contact me through any social media (icons on the right side of my blog). I can't wait to talk :)

Have a great Thursday! Friday Favorites are tomorrow, which means the weekend's only 1 day away! :)

P.S. This post was late today, because I was busy working on the blog this morning! :) Hope you like the new changes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment