Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Packing For College

Packing for college can be tricky. It's tough making decisions about clothing. Last summer, as an incoming freshman, I scoured websites and blogs looking for college packing lists. They really helped! I learned it's best not to over pack and the same goes for not packing enough. Shoutout to the kids who go to college out of state! I know that must be really wierd packing a bathing suit and shorts along with a light fall jacket. Having to pack for one season while still being in another is probably the most difficult part.

CLOTHING
Rainboots/rain jacket
Tennis shoes
Comfortable shoes (ballet flats, boots, sandals)
Jeans
Sweatpants
Sweatshirts
Shirts
Skirts
Dresses
T-shirts (don't pack too many!)
It's true you will get a lot of tshirts when you become a college kid :)

1 thing I'm sure many incoming freshman forget is an umbrella. Last year, I read that bringing an umbrella to campus is so important! Whoever wrote that was 110% right! Thank you for warning me ahead of time! I bought my Hunters and my rain jacket last summer. Best decision ever! I never thought I would use them as much as I did. Some people hate the rain, but I love it because it gives me an excuse to pull out my adorable rain gear!
SHOES! Another really important tip: wear comfy shoes!
From the dorm to class to the cafeteria then back to the dorm..I don't think I've ever walked so much in my life! Great (easy) exercise! But if you eat a lot (like me) and take advantage of the buffet style option in the cafeteria, you'll need more than just walking around campus!
That's one lesson I've learned..more on that later :)
Some say that only freshmen dress up for class, and you can spot who is who on campus by what they're wearing..I definitely didn't take that to heart. I wore what I felt most comfortable in. This is just me, but if I wear a (sorta) put together outfit, then I feel better and ready to face the day! Everyone should dress however and in whatever way they want. It all depends on your personal style.
I packed a few skirts and dresses, because there's nothing wrong with wanting to dress up a little now and then (and of course you can use them for dances if your college has them).
I'll repeat what I've said previously: Do NOT bring a bunch of tshirts. You will win/buy so many college tshirts :)

FOR THE DORM
Storage bins (that fit under the bed in order to maximize space)
Weekender (weekend road trips!)
Clorox wipes
Trash bags
Mini vacuum
Hand and dish soap
Broom
Command strips (This is the only thing my dorm allows us to use to hang pictures/posters!)
Hanging organizer (this!): super helpful!
Decorations, pictures, posters

Things you won't need:
Books
Dvds
Sports equipment

Extra info. on each:
My roommate brought about 10 books, but she didn't have time to read any of them!
I love reading, but college generally never allows enough time for you to read a whole book!
That's why I love summer, and I can tackle my reading list! :)
Movie marathons are always acceptable, but usually there's not enough space in a dorm for a bunch of dvds..so Netflix does the trick most of the time :)
Everyone has the best intention to work out and use the sports equipment they bought, but I can tell you from my own experience that you won't have as much time as you think you will to play..I will bring my yoga mat back this year, because this summer, I've realized how much I love it!

Tips:
Keep your dorm simple, but stylish.
Clean your room! That's one less thing you'll have to stress about!
After all, it is your home away from home for the next few months :)

I just uploaded all the pictures from my iPhone to my laptop..so I'll post pictures of my freshman dorm soon :)

Anything you want me to blog about?
Did I leave out anything? I probably did..I'll update the post if I remember!
Have a great Tuesday!
I'm participating in the #bloggersgetcookin link-up tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment