Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Lessons Learned Freshman Year

I've been thinking about writing this post for quite some time. I want to make sure that what I say here accurately reflects my freshman year experience. I am still in shock that my first year of college is over and that in just a little less than two weeks, I move back in! Freshman year was full of so many lessons, both in and out of the classroom. I learned so much about myself and the world around me. Thinking back over freshman year inspired me to write a few things I learned from my time at college (so far).

1. Healthy Relationships
Aside from what they majored in, the majority of people would say that this is the most important aspect of college. Whether it comes to friendships or dating, maintaining healthy relationships is key to enjoying your time at college. I'm thankful for the friends I made freshman year, whether it was in my "intro. group" or in the various clubs I joined.
Make sure that the people you spend time with lift you up, not drag you down. The people you "do life" with are supposed to encourage and nourish your soul.
If you have a relationship that you feel is toxic to your life, it doesn't mean you have to endure it. Take action for yourself and decide what is best for you. Surround yourself with people who embody the same values as you. You only want people who will love and support you!

2. "Freshman 15"
This does not define you! But, it's also never too early to start implementing healthy habits. I think unless you're a collegiate athlete or already have a regular routine of diet/exercise, it's hard not to gain a few pounds in your first few months at college. I gained a little bit of weight my freshman year. While it wasn't too noticeable, I realized that I needed to change my lifestyle if I wanted to look and feel my best. I started choosing healthier options in the cafeteria, made time for exercise in my schedule, and drank a lot of water! (A whole post about this topic later!)

3. Budget!
I love shopping as much as the next person, but this year, I realized just how much I actually spend!
I started keeping track of my receipts and totaling how much money I was spending on various items and found out that I spend way too much money on food and trivial items. Speaking as a college kid, you don't have a lot of money in the first place, so you definitely don't want to waste what little money you do have on things that aren't very important. Know when to spend and when to save.

4. Classes aren't just for classroom learning; it's learning about yourself.
One of the hardest lessons, but so needed.
I didn't do so great on a test for my major. I'd never made a grade like that in my life before that one. That day, I didn't know whether to be in shock or denial or what. I thought I knew the material. I thought I understood exactly what I was supposed to study, so how could I have made such a terrible grade on that test? Well, what I learned from that class (that I didn't even need once I switched majors) is that that major wasn't the right one for me. I learned I'm not perfect; I'm human and I make mistakes. I have no idea what I'm going to do for a job, and I have no idea if the major that I'm now in will ultimately decide my career later on in life. All I know is that the best will come out of a bad situation, even though I don't know what the best for me is right now.

5. It's okay to step outside of your comfort zone.
This is one of my favorite things I learned freshman year.
Last fall, on a whim, I decided to run to be part of my university's Student Government Association or SGA. I had never gotten too involved in high school, but I decided that college was going to be different. It turned out to be one of the best decisions of my college career.
I made so many new friends and didn't realize until then that I enjoyed the decision making process, budgeting, and learning and growing from the relationships that were formed in SGA.
I joined a few other clubs freshman year, but none that influenced me as much as SGA did.

6. Social Media
Don't let others intimidate you or get distracted by what others post on social media.
Let them live their lives and you live yours :)
Instagram/Twitter/Facebook are all great to interact with others, but don't use them as a comparison tool to see who is having more fun at college. Everyone's college experience is different.
Remember: social media is everyone's highlight reel. Don't compare that to your behind the scenes.

I have a few more college posts in the works -- stay tuned!
Have a great Tuesday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment