Thursday, July 14, 2016

Texas Recap

I recently took a trip to Texas to visit my family whom we haven't seen since Christmas. It was so good to see and spend time with them!
On this trip, I discovered a love for flying that I didn't even know existed. Every time we took off, I loved the feeling of adrenaline in my veins and every time we landed, I couldn't wait to go back up in the sky. If tickets didn't cost so much, I would use it as my main mode of transportation ;) It's incredible to see Earth from 30,000 feet (cue this song) and really cool to think how small you are compared to the rest of the world. It really makes you appreciate all that this world has to offer.
I wasn't technically "on vacation" until the next to last day we were in Texas, because I was still finishing up my two summer school classes. Even so, it was nice to have a different place to study and be able to take a break and hang out with my family. We didn't do too many 'tourist' activities, seeing that we did most of them the trip before, but we did make sure to include a stop at the Galleria. That mall is huge and offers so many of my favorite stores!
My cousin, who attends Texas A&M, offered to give us a tour of his campus one of the last days we were there. It's the fourth biggest university in the United States, so I was a little overwhelmed when I first stepped on the campus, but I ended up loving it. The university stretches for miles, but the difference between this and other universities is that you can practically feel the community and hospitality found in this place. We ate lunch at Layne's, which I highly recommend. It's a favorite among the students, which I found funny because there's only two items on the menu! As we were walking around, my cousin shared stories and traditions about the university. The one that intrigued me the most was about Pixar. Some people claim that a few of the campus buildings were used as inspiration for the architecture in Monsters University, and Sully from Monsters Inc. was named after one of the college's past presidents! Cool, huh? :) We also visited the Bonfire Memorial. This structure was as beautiful as it was sad. I think it really honored the victims of this horrible tragedy.
The night before we left, my cousin told us about this awesome shaved ice place, Bahama Bucks, and took us there at 10PM. The shop was so cute! I ordered Birthday Cake (my go-to flavor)! It was too cold to sit inside, so we took our orders home with us, and sat on the driveway to eat them. It was so beautiful to sit in silence and look at the stars.
I'm so glad we got to go to Texas this summer. I really enjoyed spending time with my family, and making new memories.


I'm leaving on a jet plane..


I'll never apologize for being that person who takes a bajillion photos out the plane window :)


Head in the clouds..


I forgot to take a picture inside the restaurant, but I did take this outside the Mexican place we ate at for lunch one day.


Fried Oreos + icecream


The Galleria


Madewell


Free People


Houston at night


Bonfire Memorial



Monsters Inc. + Monsters University inspiration


Imagine walking to class + seeing this!



Bahama Bucks


Favorite flavor: Birthday Cake (lower right)


views for days


I would stay up here all day if I could.

Texas forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment